Alaa Awad is an Egyptian painter and muralist.
Alaa Awad was born in Egypt in 1981. He graduated from the Faculty of Fine Arts, South Valley University in the heart of Luxor, Egypt in 2004. He continued at the university in 2006 as a demonstrator of painting in the Faculty of Fine Art.
In 2012, Alaa Awad received his Master of Arts from the Faculty of Fine Arts, Zamalek Helwan University in Cairo, Egypt. Currently, he is working on his PhD dissertation at the South Valley University in the Faculty of Fine Arts where he is also working as an assistant lecturer in the Department of Painting; Mural Painting.
Alaa Awad revealed his neo-pharaonic mural paintings on Mohamed Mahmoud Street in Cairo, Egypt in 2012. These now iconic and intensely symbolic murals received worldwide attention and prominence due to its suggestively symbolic language, aesthetic beauty and bold rich colors. Like the murals of Mohamed Mahmoud Street, the mythological figures, inspired by Egyptian history, captivated both domestic and international audiences.
Alaa Awad’s works are strongly influenced by Egyptian culture and heritage, where he reinterprets Pharonic wall drawings and historical cultural production to express Egyptian culture in ways that speak to contemporary culture and society. Awad participated in a number of exhibitions and auctions locally and internationally since 2007.
Some exhibitions include;
- A Collective Exhibition in the Culture Palace of the Cairo Opera House, Egypt 2017
- Insights of China at the CAB Art Gallery in cooperation with the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China, Amman, Jordan
- Insight of China a collection of international selections from the Ministry of Culture of China, Amman, Jordan
- Tour World Of Art at the China Art Museum, Shanghai, China 11-2016
- The Third Burullus Symposium, Egypt 2016
- Lebanon by Egyptian Eyes, Egypt 2016
- The 7th Session of Insight of China Workshop for Famous Arab Artists in Neiman, China 2016
- CAM Gala Auction at the Contemporary Art Museum, St. Louis, USA 2016
- The 8th Luxor International Painting Symposium, Luxor, Egypt 2015
- Urban Art Biennial, UNESCO World Heritage Site, Volklingen, Germany 2015
- The Beirut Art Fair, Beirut, Lebanon 2014
- Gallery 51 at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts, North Adams, Massachusetts USA; solo exhibition and outdoor mural painting collaboration with DownStreet Art, North Adams , Massachusetts, USA 2014
- Art of the Urban Pharaohs, Queens Hall Parliament House Melbourne Victoria, Melbourne, Australia 2014
- Art of the Urban Pharaohs; Masterpieces Lost, Yarra Gallery, Melbourne, Australia 2014
- OCCUPY UTOPIA Images Festival in Copenhagen, Denmark 2013
- Power of the Powerless, Staatliche Kunsthalle in Baden-Baden, Germany 2013
Alaa Awad continues to participate in Egyptian collaborations and workshops, as well as international exhibitions in galleries throughout the world.
Please see the Exhibitions page for more details on recent and upcoming events featuring the art of Alaa Awad.